Saturday, May 28, 2016

Digital Blog #3

Digital Blog #3




First, I would like to analyze what does digital citizenship mean. I saw the word, “citizenship” and thought about what does becoming a citizen have to do with technology. Once I read chapter 3, I got a better understanding of what it means and find it very interesting. Digital citizenship means using technology honestly, safely, and in ways that promote the common good. (Maloy, et al, 2013, p. 767) As a society, we do not think about digital citizenship, our youth especially. Recently, there was a post on Facebook that I found very inappropriate. How are these posts monitored? Are there consequences for them? Today’s youth really do not recognize or understand the responsibilities they have in the digital world. One thing I tell my students is that once it is out there in the digital world it cannot be erased. I know we have the freedom of speech but there has to be some kind of law that can be implemented so inappropriate things are banned from social media.


Another concept that I find interesting is the use of Blogs. I have heard of them but never quite understood what they are. When I signed up for the course, Intro to Tech for Educators, I thought it would be an easy course. Little did I know, huh? Before this course, I felt knowable about technology. But in reality, I do not know much. How to make a Blog and how to embed into a platform has been challenging for me. All I can do is keep on trying my best. What is interesting that Blogs are free and can be used to communicate for teachers to students just like we are doing in this course. 


The last concept that I found was Wikis. It is interesting that the word wikis comes from a Hawaiian word that means quick or rapidly. Again, this brings me back to how I am not knowable with these new terms. I am really disappointed in myself for not knowing these concepts. Just being on Facebook, knowing how to email and text does not mean you know everything about technology. So wikis are webpages that are being used to communicate between teachers and students. From my little experience, I have witness wikis at work. A couple of years back, I was in a long-term English position at the high school. We had a teacher that would use wikis to communicate with her students and she also had links to help teachers with lesson plans and assignments. I never thought much about how beneficial it was for me that year. It saved me so much time, if I have a question I would put it on her wiki and she would respond to me.



Reference:

Maloy, R., O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc
http://www.teachertube.com/video/blogs-and-wikis-in-education-85513
https://www.canva.com/design/DAB1X6m2sj4/yr0TnQ21jEJIGArNmW6ykg/view?utm_content=DAB1X6m2sj4&utm_campaign=designshare&utm_medium=link&utm_source=sharebutton https://www.canva.com/design/DAB1X6m2sj4/yr0TnQ21jEJIGArNmW6ykg/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment